St. Joseph’s College Founded
August 17, 1916
Founded by the Sisters of St. Joseph, the College opens its doors to 12 students in the Clinton Hill section of Brooklyn.
Bishop Charles E. McDonnell Becomes SJC’s First President
August 17, 1916
Bishop Charles E. McDonnell, president of the Board of Trustees, announces the opening of the College and becomes its first president.
Pratt Home Purchased
August 19, 1918
St. Joseph’s purchases the Pratt home at 245 Clinton Avenue.
First Class Graduates
August 19, 1920
The first class graduates from St. Joseph’s College at the Brooklyn Academy of Music.
Bishop Thomas E. Molloy Named Second President
August 26, 1921
Bishop Thomas E. Molloy becomes St. Joseph’s College’s second president.
Permanent Charter Obtained
August 19, 1929
St. Joseph’s College obtains its permanent charter from the University of the State of New York.
College Preschool Opened
August 19, 1934
One of the first college preschools on the East Coast is opened on the Brooklyn Campus.
Convent for Sisters of St. Joseph Purchased
August 19, 1936
The Pratt House at 232 Clinton Avenue is purchased and becomes a convent for the Sisters of St. Joseph. The surrounding gardens become part of the Brooklyn Campus.
St. Joseph’s College Celebrates Its 25th Anniversary
August 19, 1941
As the College celebrates its 25th anniversary, enrollment reaches 469 and the number of alumnae climbs to nearly 1,200.
Rev. William T. Dillon Named President
August 19, 1945
The Rev. William T. Dillon is named president of St. Joseph’s College.
S. Vincent Therese Tuohy is Appointed President
August 19, 1956
President Dillon steps down; S. Vincent Therese Tuohy is appointed to take his place.
McEntegart Library Opens
August 19, 1965
McEntegart Hall Library opens at 222 Clinton Avenue.
Dillon Child Study Center is Named
August 19, 1968
The preschool is named the Dillon Child Study Center.
S. George Aquin O’Connor, C.S.J., Named President
August 19, 1968
S. George Aquin O’Connor, C.S.J., is named president of St. Joseph’s College. St. Joseph’s admits its first male students, making the transformation to a coeducational college.
Brentwood Extension Opened
August 19, 1971
An extension division of the College opens in Brentwood.
School of Adult and Professional Education
August 19, 1975
The College establishes the School of Adult and Professional Education.
Property for SJC Long Island Purchased
August 19, 1978
A 25-acre lakeside property in Patchogue is purchased to house the SJC Long Island, and a four-year program is inaugurated.
Clare Rose Playhouse Opens
August 19, 1985
The Clare Rose Playhouse opens on the Long Island Campus.
Callahan Library Opens
August 19, 1989
The Callahan Library opens on the Long Island Campus.
Weekend College Established
August 19, 1994
The Weekend College is established at the Long Island Campus.
First Graduate Degree Introduced
August 19, 1995
St. Joseph’s introduces its first graduate degree.
S. Elizabeth A. Hill, C.S.J., J.D., Named President
August 19, 1997
S. Elizabeth A. Hill, C.S.J., J.D., becomes College president and establishes the Council for the Arts to provide fine and performing arts programming to St. Joseph’s and its surrounding communities.
John A. Danzi Athletic Center Opens
August 20, 1997
SJC Long Island’s John A. Danzi Athletic Center opens.
Online Library System Installed
August 19, 1999
An online library system is installed, enabling students to search for and check out books at either campus, as well as providing access to online databases and other electronic information sources.
St. Angela Hall Purchased
August 19, 2001
SJC Brooklyn expands to bordering Washington Avenue with the purchase of St. Angela Hall Academy. St. Angela Hall becomes a classroom and meeting facility.
Business Technology Center Opens
August 19, 2002
The 33,000-square-foot Business Technology Center opens at SJC Long Island.
Athletic Complex Land Purchased
August 19, 2008
St. Joseph’s College acquires 24.8 acres of property in the hamlet of East Patchogue to expand its more than 30 acres of existing property on Long Island. Located just east of the campus on the south side of the Sunrise Highway Service Road, the College has framed a composite preliminary program for the area with future expansion plans of developing an athletic complex.
Chair in Comparative Religion Established
August 19, 2009
St. Joseph’s College establishes The Dr. Reza and Georgianna Clifford Khatib ’52 Chair in Comparative Religion and hosts its inaugural lecture to promote interfaith dialog with the study of Islam being an integral part of the initiative on both campuses.
Athletic Complex Unveiled
August 19, 2012
St. Joseph’s College unveils its new athletic complex — a 24.8 acre, state-of-the-art outdoor sports facility that is home to SJC’s baseball, softball, soccer, tennis and women’s lacrosse teams.
Jack P. Calareso, Ph.D., Named President
August 19, 2014
Jack P. Calareso, Ph.D., becomes St. Joseph’s College’s seventh president and the first nonreligious leader of the College since its founding in 1916.
Hill Center Opened
August 20, 2014
A 40,000 square foot state-of-the-art facility located on Vanderbilt Avenue is the first new building on the Brooklyn Campus since McEntegart Hall Library opened in 1965. The building is fittingly named after S. Elizabeth Hill, SJC’s sixth president who retired in June 2014.
Centennial Celebration Begins
August 19, 2015
St. Joseph’s College begins its centennial celebration.